RoboReporter, is a web application that allows you to submit an article that will be reviewed by all and will be promoted, based on popularity, to the main page. When a user submits a news article it will be placed in the Queued area until it gains sufficient votes to be promoted to the main page. RoboReporter is based on the wonderful Pligg application (thank you Pligg team!). The original source for Pligg was authored by Ricardo Galli. He was influenced by the extremely popular English technology site digg.com.
THANK YOU DISCOVERY CHANNEL!
This contest is being sponsored by the Discovery Channelís online store. The Discovery Channel is the award winning TV channel with a passion for educating through entertainment We were not surprised when they agreed to sponsor the RoboReporter contest by graciously providing the prizes for the content. We would personally like to thank them for their involvement. Remember, when you support the Discovery Channel through their store, you are supporting a company that cares about education!
CONTEST RULES - IMPORTANT!
GOAL: Whoever submits the most legitimate news stories during the month will be the contest winner and gets the Discovery Chromashift Roboreptile!
The contest is only open to residents of the United States and Canada! (Our apologies to our friends across the waters, it is a shipping thing!)
- You must be at least 13 years of age or older to participate!
- A legitimate news story is defined as:
Multiple accounts are not allowed - this is grounds for disqualification from the contest and can also lead to you being permanently banned from the site.
- Original story title and summary - do not cut and paste these items from the story page of your submission! Write your own title and summary and make sure you explain what is interesting or novel about the story you are submitting.
- Spell checked and grammatically correct - you are an elite RoboReporter! Use the on-page spell checker and check your grammar and syntax too!
- Robotics related - the story must be of interest to robot engineers & hobbyists
- Quality Story - any obvious attempt to load the RoboReporter site with stories that are copied, junk, or is an RSS feed derivative without any additional value will be, at our discretion, considered invalid.
NOTE: All story submissions will be checked for originality and conformance to the above rules. In the event of a disqualification, the prize will go to the next member with the highest submission count.
PLAY FAIR, HAVE FUN, LEARN, AND WIN!
Preamble: The following terms and conditions refer to the RoboReporter service and contest, not to RobotsRule at large. Other web pages may be under different applicable conditions. By participating in the Roboreporter service and content, you agree to the following terms and conditions.
- Description of Service. Roboreporter is a free, online application from RobotsRule (the "Service"). You understand and agree that the Service is provided on an AS IS and AS AVAILABLE basis. RobotsRule disclaims all responsibility and liability for the availability, timeliness, security or reliability of the Service. RobotsRule also reserves the right to modify, suspend or discontinue the Service with or without notice at any time and without any liability to you.
- Personal Use. The Service is made available to you for your personal use only. Due to the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (which is available at http://www.ftc.gov/ogc/coppa1.htm), you must be at least thirteen (13) years of age to use this Service. You must provide current, accurate identification, contact, and other information that may be required as part of the registration process and/or continued use of the Service. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Service password and account, and are responsible for all activities that occur thereunder. RobotsRule reserves the right to refuse service to anyone at any time without notice for any reason.
- Proper Use. You agree that you are responsible for your own communications and for any consequences thereof. Your use of the Service is subject to your acceptance of and compliance with the Agreement. You agree that you will use the Service in compliance with all applicable local, state, national, and international laws, rules and regulations, including any laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from your country of residence. You shall not, shall not agree to, and shall not authorize or encourage any third party to: (i) use the Service to upload, transmit or otherwise distribute any content that is unlawful, defamatory, harassing, abusive, fraudulent, obscene, contains viruses, or is otherwise objectionable as reasonably determined by RobotsRule; (ii) upload, transmit or otherwise distribute content that infringes upon another party's intellectual property rights or other proprietary, contractual or fiduciary rights or obligations; (iii) prevent others from using the Service; (iv) use the Service for any fraudulent or inappropriate purpose; or (v) act in any way that violates the Program Policies, as may be revised from time to time. Violation of any of the foregoing may result in immediate termination of this Agreement, and may subject you to state and federal penalties and other legal consequences. RobotsRule reserves the right, but shall have no obligation, to investigate your use of the Service in order to determine whether a violation of the Agreement has occurred or to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request.
- Your Intellectual Property Rights - RobotsRule does not claim any ownership in any of the content, including any text, data, information, images, photographs, music, sound, video, or other material, that you upload, transmit or store in your RoboReporter account. We will not use any of your content for any purpose except to provide you with the Service. However, in order to facilitate this service, You hereby give RobotsRule a royalty-free, transferable, worldwide license with rights to sub-license, create derivative works, display, copy, and distribute your submission in any and all media formats and through other channels of syndication.
- Representations and Warranties. You represent and warrant that (a) all of the information provided by you to RobotsRule to participate in the Services is correct and current; and (b) you have all necessary right, power and authority to enter into this Agreement and to perform the acts required of you here under.
- Advertisements. As consideration for using the Service, you agree and understand that RobotsRule may display ads and other information adjacent to and related to the content of the news articles. RobotsRule serves relevant ads using a completely automated process that enables RobotsRule to effectively target dynamically changing content.
- Account Inactivity. After a period of inactivity, RobotsRule reserves the right to disable or terminate a user's account. If an account has been deactivated for inactivity, the E-mail address associated with that account may be given to another user without notice to you or such other party. For more information on how RobotsRule deals with account inactivity, please consult the Program Policies.
- Termination; Cancellation. You may cancel your use of the Services and/or terminate this Agreement with or without cause at any time by providing notice to RobotsRule, however a terminated account may continue to exist for up to ten business days before such cancellation takes effect. RobotsRule may at any time and for any reason terminate the Services, terminate this Agreement, or suspend or terminate your account. In the event of termination, your account will be disabled and you may not be granted access to your account or any files or other content contained in your account although residual copies of information may remain in our system. RobotsRule will notify you via E-mail of any such termination or cancellation, which shall be effective immediately upon RobotsRule's delivery of such notice.
- Indemnification. You agree to hold harmless and indemnify RobotsRule, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, agents, and employees from and against any third party claim arising from or in any way related to your use of the Service, including any liability or expense arising from all claims, losses, damages (actual and consequential), suits, judgments, litigation costs and attorneys' fees, of every kind and nature. In such a case, RobotsRule will provide you with written notice of such claim, suit or action.
- THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
IN NO EVENT UNLESS REQUIRED BY APPLICABLE LAW OR AGREED TO IN WRITING WILL ANY COPYRIGHT HOLDER, OR ANY OTHER PARTY WHO MAY MODIFY AND/OR REDISTRIBUTE THE PROGRAM AS PERMITTED ABOVE, BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY GENERAL, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE USE OR INABILITY TO USE THE PROGRAM (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF DATA OR DATA BEING RENDERED INACCURATE OR LOSSES SUSTAINED BY YOU OR THIRD PARTIES OR A FAILURE OF THE PROGRAM TO OPERATE WITH ANY OTHER PROGRAMS), EVEN IF SUCH HOLDER OR OTHER PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.